Reading About My First Love – #MFRWauthor

It’s Week #42 of the #MFRWauthor Blog Challenge! Before I go any further, I’m going to interrupt your regularly scheduled blog post for this public service announcement… Hey, fellow challenge participants – start thinking of weekly topics so we can continue this challenge in 2018! #MFRW is willing to keep it going if someone will provide topics. I figure if we each come up with half a dozen, we’ll have more than we need! Think of some, write them down somewhere (or send them to me and I’ll hang on to them). I/we can submit them in mid-November so they have time to coordinate next year’s challenge. *Readers – is there something about me/writing/my books/life/whatever that you’re dying to read about? Please let me know in the comments below!

Okay, back to this week’s topic…my first love. Hmm, this prompt could be taken so many different ways….

Are they referring to my first crush?

David Cassidy

Photo from David Cassidy’s official website (davidcassidy.com)

No question – it’s David Cassidy. I never missed an episode of The Partridge Family TV show and I bought every record of David’s upon release. My bedroom was covered in his posters. I had notebooks with his picture on them for school. I had a Partridge Family purse. Heck, I even had a Partridge Family lunchbox (yes, that was a thing back then). When David Cassidy came to Miami to do a concert, I BEGGED for tickets for weeks (in fact, I’m still fulfilling all the promises I made to my parents if only they would “just let me – please!! – go to his concert!”). One evening, I sat down to dinner, opened my napkin and – OMG!! – my coveted tickets were sandwiched between the napkin folds. The neighborhood is still echoing with my screams of joy (I may have cried a little, too). My VERY easy-going, long-suffering father toted my neighbor and I an hour to the concert (one way), then sat – uncomplaining – through the show while every other person in the entire auditorium stood on their seats and shrieked through the whole concert. David was the size of an ant on that far, far, very far-off stage, gyrating in his white leisure suit. We all hollered so loudly, you couldn’t hear a note he sang. I remember looking down at my father – he was huddled in his seat in the darkness, fingers in his ears, looking as if he wanted to be anywhere else but there. But he never complained (as if I’d have heard him through all the screaming). It. Was. Awesome.

Anyhow, after I stopped thinking about Dreamboat David, I pondered the other possibilities for this weeks’ topic and the meaning of “my first love”. Do they mean boyfriends? Pets?? Chocolate???

Then, it hit me. In fact, it literally hit me when a book fell off my desk and bruised my toe (damn you, you five-pound Roget’s Thesaurus!).

Reading is my first love.Reading. My first Love, My muse - author Robin Michaela

I’ve been reading since kindergarten, at least. Maybe before then, but I’m not sure. Back in the caveman days (as my kids like to call them), children didn’t learn to read until they went to kindergarten (or it might have been first grade). But, once I learned, reading opened a whole new world for me.

I am never alone when I am reading. I am never bored when I’m reading. I can visit any country, any time in history, any planet – even when I’m standing in line at the DMV (or somewhere equally mind-numbing). Books are teachers, dreamers, world-builders. They are magic carpets waiting to whisk you into another life or into another dimension. They allow you to try on a new persona and live in other realms when you become immersed in their tales.

I shudder to think of the emptiness of a life in which I couldn’t read.Β  Perhaps that’s why I’m an author – I like to think I’m spreading the joy.

Click here to find out about the first loves of the other authors on the blog. And, don’t forget to leave a comment below if you have a topic you’re just dying to read about. Thanks!

24 thoughts on “Reading About My First Love – #MFRWauthor

1. Meka James says:

Never watched that show. I *know* of it,but never watched. Glad to see I wasn’t the only one that had a little trouble with this week’s topic, but you had very clear and decisive answers. πŸ™‚
    Happy Friday.

Liked by 1 person

• RobinMichaela says:

Meka, you’re probably too young to have watched it. πŸ™‚ It was about a family (the Partridge’s) who formed a singing group called the Partridge Family. David Cassidy was the teenage son. The woman who played the mother (Shirley Jones) was actually David’s step-mom in real life (awkward much?). She was a famous singer back in the day and starred in a lot of musicals in the 50’s and 60’s (Oklahoma!, South Pacific (on Broadway), The Music Man), none of which you’ll know either, lol.

2. Kenzie Michaels says:

I carried my Partridge Family lunchbox until the 4th grade (I think!)!! When we’d go visit my grandparents in Florida, one of their TV channels had the show on every day; my sister and I would climb out of the pool, watch it and Battle of the Planets, then back to the pool for an hour before having to get ready for dinner, lol!

Danny, however, was my fave:)

Until Shaun came along! Fell in love with ‘That’s Rock-n-Roll’:)

Liked by 1 person

3. Sherry Lewis says:

David was a little before (or, you know, realistically, after) my time, I’m afraid–an admission that really dates me, I guess. I did, however, watch the show on occasion, so I can totally understand the devotion. I didn’t even *think* about reading or writing when I saw this week’s topic. I should have, though.

Liked by 1 person

4. RaineBalkera says:

Really enjoyed your post, Robin! Thanks for sharing and don’t hate me, but, I never could understand what all the ‘hub-ub’ over Sir David was about (lol) I was into Jimi Hendrix before I turned 10, so there πŸ˜‰

Liked by 1 person

5. Ed Hoornaert says:

Although I remember David Cassidy, I’d forgotten that he was a singer. I’m such a party pooper, especially when it comes to popular culture.
    Some blog ideas:
    – What’s the favorite thing you’ve written, and why?
    – What’s your favorite writing music?
    – What’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on?
    – What’s your earliest memory?
    – How much of yourself do you put into your writing?
    – What’s your favorite (Christmas, summer holiday, Halloween) memory?
    – If you couldn’t write, what would you do instead?
    – What other creative outlets do you enjoy?

Liked by 1 person

• RobinMichaela says:

Thanks for the great blog topic ideas, Ed! I’ve added them to my list. RE: popular culture – I have no idea who half the famous people are anymore. Example: My friend was so excited, recently, to be dining near some famous woman whose name I can’t remember now (see?) and texted to tell me. I didn’t have a clue who he was talking about. I even thought the girl was a guy (she has a more “male” name). My friend was stunned at the extent of my ignorance, lol.

6. maureenbonatch says:

I think my sister had that poster, lol. I loved the old lunch boxes! kids don’t know what they’re missing. You can’t bean someone with the cloth bags of today, lol. Yeah that the prompts will live on! I’ll start thinking of some. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

7. Mary J. McCoy-Dressel says:

Thanks for looking into weekly topics for next year! Ed listed some great ideas. When I was young, I had crushes on baseball players. LOL Now I go berserk over my favorite bull rider. I did see the Beatles in concert. Talk about wild and crazy! I yelled for George because most others yelled for Paul, John, and Ringo. Not that anyone could hear my little voice in the crowd.

Liked by 1 person

8. Cathy Brockman says:

I loved David too your father was amazing. For doing that. I suck at blog topics I’ll try to think of some and get back to you next week if that’s ok

Liked by 1 person