TMI or Just a Hint? – #MFRWauthor

Yowzah! It’s Week 34 of the #MFRWauthor Blog Challenge, which means there are only 18 weeks left in the year. “Time flies” is becoming a reality! The topic this week is Open Door Romance or Closed Door Romance?…

author Robin Michaela I’m really interested to see what my fellow romance authors have to say about this one and I’m going to make a predication that they’ll be fairly evenly divided on the subject.

When ereaders first came out, erotic romances with open door scenes really took off. It’s not that the genre was new, it was because women (who are the primary readers of romance novels) could read their bodice-ripper romance novels anonymously. Let’s say they were on the evening train home from work. If they had an erotic romance on their ereader, their commute suddenly became way more *ahem * pleasurable.

Hence the skyrocketing sales of erotic romance.

I’ve been reading romances for decades now (not sayin’ how many, but it’s more than one). I’ve always leaned toward reading romances with open doors. Now that I’m writing them, my books also have open door scenes.Robin Michaela - Southern Roads: Baby, Count On Me

Some publishers have a grading system so readers can find out the heat level of a book before they buy it. That way, an unsuspecting reader doesn’t get their eyebrows singed off by accident. Many grading systems rank books or authors from #1 (no sex, not even kissing) to #5 (TMI-no-holds-barred, you’re-in-the-bed-right-next-to-them-while-they’re-in-the-middle-of-it…and, they aren’t having “vanilla” sex, thankyouverymuch).

I’ve read books in every heat level from 1 to 5. I’m a fan of them all. In fact, I wouldn’t turn a book down because it didn’t have sex it it, any more than I would turn it down because it would set my eyebrows on fire.

I just finished an online course on how to write hotter love scenes and was told my writing already falls somewhere in the spicy, steamy category between Level 3 – 4, so I clearly prefer Open Doors. What about you? Leave a comment below and then stop by some of the other authors on the list below. You might just find your new favorite Sweet, Spicy, or Melt Your Eyebrows author!

20 thoughts on “TMI or Just a Hint? – #MFRWauthor

1. Sherry Lewis says:

I say it’s a good thing that romance writers are split on this question! Since there are writers who fall all over the map, it means there’s something to read for readers with every conceivable preference. And that is good for everybody 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Ellie Mack says:

First off I could have done without the reminder that we only have 18 weeks left of the year. GAH!
    SEcondly, I can remember hiding my romance novels with a torn off cover of a Stephen King novel that was destroyed by getting soaked. ( Because if you are reading something sexy, guys think you are easy. That was the reasoning back then.) OMG I loved your post! I can remember trying to write my first ever romance to CBA guidelines, I threw my hands up in defeat. I went to the opposite extreme for a while writing some graphic erotica, but have settled more comfortably at a 3 1/2 to a 4. I still like to read the 5 though. Great post!

Liked by 2 people

3. RobinMichaela says:

Thanks, Ellie! (Sorry about the 18-weeks-left-in-the-year reference, lol). I didn’t exactly hide my romance novels (inside another book is a great idea, though!), but I did “hide” them by reading very furtively and kind of curling up in a corner where no one would see them. All that went by the wayside when my wonderful mother-in-law told me SHE was reading them and wanted to exchange books. :0

4. Helen Henderson says:

I tend to write about a 3. My mother has read romance for decades so as long as there is a strong story line and its not sex for shock value, she’s good. After all our characters are human too, and run a gamut of interests. PS I used to hide my books in one of those brown book-covers. Not just for the train ride but for anyone going into my desk. My how times have changed.

Liked by 2 people

• RobinMichaela says:

I understand why you used to hide your books, lol. My mom was okay with the sex, too, which surprised me (she never read my books, though (she passed before I started writing) – that might have been different!).

5. Ed Hoornaert says:

Speaking of covers, I remember losing a girl I was interested in because she saw me reading a science fiction book with a recumbent nude (drawn fuzzy) and a menacing man standing over her holding a knife. The girl didn’t care for my type of book — even though it was just an autopsy, described in almost no detail. Sometimes you can’t win.

Liked by 1 person

6. Meka James says:

Oh name of course? I’ve been trying to improve in that area to get my scenes to be hotter. I totally took a different route with this topic LOL but it’s been fun to see how others have answered it. I am open door and read mostly open door. I’m not opposed to close door, I’ve just not added any to my ereader recently.

• RobinMichaela says:

It’s funny, Meka, ACTUAL doors never occurred to me when I saw this topic. What does that say about how my mind works? I thought authors would be divided between wanting sex and no sex in a book, not that some people would write about heat levels while others would wax poetic over physical objects. I’ve enjoyed reading about both sides of the topic, though!

Liked by 1 person

7. storimom2 says:

As a teen who devoured Norma Klein and Forever by Judy Blume, I was beyond thrilled when my mom let me read Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the Horses! WOW….I wanted more, lol! I also loved Kathleen Woodiwiss’s books, but there was still something…..missing.

I wish I’d had the foresight to disguise The Happy Hooker when I accidentally grabbed it and stuck it in my bag for a church trip….that got me into a lot of trouble, lol….

Liked by 1 person