Mistletoe and Jingle Bells – #MFRWauthor

Thanks for joining me for Week 29 of the #MFRWauthor 52 Week Blog Challenge. The topic for this week is “my favorite holiday” and I can’t believe that the year is sliding downhill toward mine so quickly. Cue the mistletoe

I bet you guessed my favorite holiday just by reading the title, huh? I knew you would, because all my readers are incredibly smart!

minty mallows - author Robin MichaelaSeriously, though, I love Christmas. I love the food you only seem to buy and/or make at this time of the year. Peppermint anything leaps to mind. In fact, I live for Trader Joe’s Minty Mallows, which are only available during the holiday season.

Besides yummy treats, I love the lights and the  Christmas - Robin Michaela decorations, the music, the the holiday-themed movies and TV shows. In our family, we can’t count it a successful holiday season unless we’ve watched Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dickens’s A Christmas Carol, and the movie, A Christmas Story.

Fun fact: A Christmas Story is literally about people IN MY FAMILY. Yup, Jean Shepherd, the author of the book and narrator of the movie was my mother’s cousin. When he talks about Aunt Clara, who gives Ralphie the bunny pajamas…well, that’s my grandmother. And, she was not amused at how he chose to portray her, lol.

In our family, we’ve always done our Christmas dinner and gift-giving on Christmas Eve. My mother started that tradition because she thought it was more festive with the tree all lit up, Christmas songs playing in the background, and the decorations adding their glow to the scene. She also loved to see what each person got, so we had to go around the room and unwrap gifts one…present…at…a…time, with each person taking a turn while everyone else watched. That always drove me nuts, but now that Mom is gone, I see the point of her tradition. It drags out the evening, giving us a way to savor every last bit of the holiday.

Which holiday is your favorite? Leave a comment below – thanks for reading!

This is a blog hop – visit the other authors on the list to find out if their favorite holiday is the same as yours:

17 thoughts on “Mistletoe and Jingle Bells – #MFRWauthor

1. Sherry Lewis says:

Your post just made my day. I’m so excited to “know” Aunt Clara’s granddaughter. A Christmas Story is an absolute must for our family every year. We’re also a one present at a time family. Drove me crazy as a kid, but absolutely insist upon it now that I’m an adult. Enjoyed your post 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• RobinMichaela says:

I’m glad you enjoy A Christmas Story. 🙂
      It’s so funny that I also like the one-present-at-a-time ritual now. I swore I’d never do it again after my mom passed, but I really enjoy it now (my kids, however, do not. Lol).

2. Kenzie Michaels says:

So happy to hear of your Christmas Story connection! My dad identifies with Ralphie, lol!
    We always watch it every year:)

As an adult, I now know why my parents always opened their gifts last. As a kid, it was always fun to see what ‘big item’ Dad had bought for Mom….and one year she surprised us by tape-recording Christmas morning. That was the year my sister got her Miss Piggy doll, and happened to be sitting very near the recorder. Her screeches of delight were captured very eloquently, lol! Needless to say, we were outraged and amazed we hadn’t noticed the black item on top of the TV!

Liked by 1 person

• RobinMichaela says:

Lol, the autograph line forms to the right…
      I know, I wouldn’t have thought they were real people either. But, he actually had a brother named Randy (who I bet was also less than impressed with how he was portrayed) and they lived in Indiana. I guess there is some basis in real life on the part of most authors…

3. Meka James says:

Very cool that the story is based off your family. We’ve watched that movie a ton of times. We also open presents one at a time, but on Christmas morning. Mostly now it’s just the kids we make do it that way. Once they are done with theirs then the adults open. Since we typically have less, we will open all of ours when it’s that person’s turn. Moves a little faster that way.

Liked by 1 person

• RobinMichaela says:

We have a leg-lamp string of lights on the mantle every year, in honor of the movie, lol. I hope you like the Minty Mallows if you try them, Linda. They’re like a York peppermint patty covering a marshmallow..,