It’s Week #17 of the #MFRWauthor blog challenge (woot!). This week’s topic is about travel – specifically, The Top 5 Places I’d Like to Visit. I already touched on this topic in last week’s post, when I talked about My Big Dreams in Life. Today, you get to read more about my vacation bucket list…
I’ve always loved to travel. My parents started my sister and I on a diet of road trips and travel fun when we were just babies.
They hailed from Chicago, but shook the ice and snow from their veins and transplanted themselves to the warmth of sunny South Florida where I was born.
Because the rest of the family rarely took advantage of the free place to crash while lazing around on a beach vacation, they rarely visited (really, wouldn’t you have thought we’d have needed our own guest reservations schedule to accommodate the flood of visitors?) So, since we were the only rebels who’d escaped Chicago’s harsh winters and my parents wanted my sister and I to know the rest of the family, we made annual pilgrimages to the Windy City.
I remember fun things from these trips (Stuckey’s! See Rock City! Burma Shave!), as well as fights in which my sister and I divided up the back seat of the car with an invisible wall that could have rivaled Trump’s planned one (“Don’t touch my side of the seat! Mommmmm, she put her foot over the line!”).
I still love road trips to this day. And, one of these days I’m going to see the 19 states I haven’t yet seen (yes, I’ve visited 31 states in the Union – I’m basically just missing out on the New England states). In fact, I’ll knock two of them off my list when we do a cruise from Boston to Canada this autumn.
Aside from the U. S, the Top 5 Destinations on my bucket list for travel are:
- Machu Picchu – this one is pretty much at the top of my list. My uncle hiked this ancient Incan city a few years ago – at age 86. He said it was something no one should miss seeing. If he can do it, I can do it.
- The Great Wall of China – I’m a runner and there’s a marathon on the Great Wall, which would be so cool to do! Race or not, though, I want to hike some of the Wall, look over the edge, and see the view from the top.
- Australia – Uluru (Ayers Rock), Sydney, sailing along the Great Barrier Reef…
- Germany – I’d love to visit the lands of my heritage. My family emigrated from Germany in the late 1800s.
- Norway – I added this to my list from last week. I’ve been looking at photos of fjords – gotta go!
If you made a bucket list for travel, where would you go? Leave a comment below – thanks for stopping by!
This is a blog hop. Visit some of the other authors to see what travel places are on their bucket list: